Golf pair win final meeting
GolfA pair from Haverhill Golf Club, eight-handicap Jim Walker and 12-handicap Graham Ashcroft, won the final Suffolk Winter Alliance meeting of the year They amassed 43 Stableford points off seven eighths handicap round a very wet Constable course at Stoke by Nayland.
A pair from Haverhill Golf Club, eight-handicap Jim Walker and 12-handicap Graham Ashcroft, won the final Suffolk Winter Alliance meeting of the year They amassed 43 Stableford points off seven eighths handicap round a very wet Constable course at Stoke by Nayland.
Although there was a slight frost there was no delay to a 9am shotgun start when 84 players teed off.
There was teeing up on some of the fairways and picking, wiping and placing within a club's length. The greens, though, were soft, wet but true.
You may also want to watch:
Runners-up on count back with 41 points were Gerry Day, the Stoke by Nayland junior organiser off 10, and Hambro squad member Tom Everett off four. They had 21 points on their back nine to beat the Rushmere pair of Tom Wright and Guy Whiting off four and 13 respectively who had 19 on their back nine.
Fourth place went to Stoke by Nayland captain, Ian McKay, off four, and his vice-captain Robert Tokley off 10. They had 40 points.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 3 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 9 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
There were a few on 39 but the majority of the field were around 30 or under. Only two professionals took part on what is generally regarded as a pre-Christmas fun day. Jon Markham of Stowmarket ended one shot better than Nick Duc of Haverhill.
The next Alliance meeting will be at Bungay and Waveney Valley on Sunday, January 6.