Golf pair win final meeting
GolfA pair from Haverhill Golf Club, eight-handicap Jim Walker and 12-handicap Graham Ashcroft, won the final Suffolk Winter Alliance meeting of the year They amassed 43 Stableford points off seven eighths handicap round a very wet Constable course at Stoke by Nayland.
A pair from Haverhill Golf Club, eight-handicap Jim Walker and 12-handicap Graham Ashcroft, won the final Suffolk Winter Alliance meeting of the year They amassed 43 Stableford points off seven eighths handicap round a very wet Constable course at Stoke by Nayland.
Although there was a slight frost there was no delay to a 9am shotgun start when 84 players teed off.
There was teeing up on some of the fairways and picking, wiping and placing within a club's length. The greens, though, were soft, wet but true.
Runners-up on count back with 41 points were Gerry Day, the Stoke by Nayland junior organiser off 10, and Hambro squad member Tom Everett off four. They had 21 points on their back nine to beat the Rushmere pair of Tom Wright and Guy Whiting off four and 13 respectively who had 19 on their back nine.
Fourth place went to Stoke by Nayland captain, Ian McKay, off four, and his vice-captain Robert Tokley off 10. They had 40 points.
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 3 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 4 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 5 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 6 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
- 7 Meet the man who has documented the entire history of a Suffolk village
- 8 Woman jailed for harassing behaviour in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 10 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
There were a few on 39 but the majority of the field were around 30 or under. Only two professionals took part on what is generally regarded as a pre-Christmas fun day. Jon Markham of Stowmarket ended one shot better than Nick Duc of Haverhill.
The next Alliance meeting will be at Bungay and Waveney Valley on Sunday, January 6.