Golf pro Frew dies aged 70
John Frew, professional at Bury St Edmunds Golf Club between 1959 and 1980, has died at the age of 70.Born in Ayrshire in 1935, he made a big impact on Suffolk golf.
John Frew, professional at Bury St Edmunds Golf Club between 1959 and 1980, has died at the age of 70.
Born in Ayrshire in 1935, he made a big impact on Suffolk golf. He won the East Anglian Open Championship round his home Bury St Edmunds course in 1972 with a 36-hole score of 143.
He was Suffolk Open champion on two occasions in 1966 and 1971 and won the Suffolk PGA strokeplay title on five occasions in 1966, 1970, 1972, 1975 and 1976.
After leaving Bury St Edmunds he helped set up the West Suffolk driving range at Beck Row and played on the PGA European Seniors Tour.
You may also want to watch:
He qualified for the Open Championship twice, appearing at Royal Birkdale.
Amazingly. he had 35 holes in one. The most notable was at the 14th hole at Royal Birkdale in 1968 in the Schweppes PGA Championship.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 8 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
Frew enjoyed a wager on the golf course, once beating American Doug Sanders at Western Gailes Golf Club in Scotland.
Locally, he enjoyed friendly rivalry with the likes of former Ryder Cup player Lionel Platts and Rushmere's Johnny Johnson.
He leaves a son, Douglas, who plays Hambro Cup and Stenson Shield golf for Swallow Suffolk Golf Club, daughter-in-law Rosemary and grand-daughter Abigail.
The funeral was at West Suffolk Crematorium on Wednesday, June 28 at 2.15pm.