Hornets are stung as Ipswich’s strong start sees them home
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Ladies 45 Hertford Hornets 39 East Regional League
Ipswich Ladies beat Hertford Hornets – a team newly promoted to the East Regional Clubs Division 2 League – at the weekend.
With Hornets’ confident start to the season, it was anticipated to be a close match.
The first quarter saw a positive Ipswich team take control of the game and quickly apply pressure to Hornets.
Effective runs and accurate feeding by Lucy Adams helped the shooting duo, Livvy Patten and Safia Ludlam, convert the hard work into goals.
You may also want to watch:
Score at the end of the first quarter was an impressive 17-4 to Ipswich.
The home team made no positional changes coming into the second quarter, but a change of the Hornets’ GS helped provide the opposition with more shooting options.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 5 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 8 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 9 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
- 10 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
Nonetheless, Ipswich’s defence throughout the whole court allowed Rochelle Gordon-Scott and Fiona Rash to make some turnovers and set up opportunities for Cat Stevens to hunt out interceptions.
Ipswich held off Hornets and went into half time 28-12.
The third quarter saw a switch throughout mid-court and defence.
Adams’ moved to WA allowing Chesney Webb to come on as C, Charlotte Stokell on to WD, with Gordon-Scott changed to GD.
Hornets, having a depleted squad, made no changes but were able to up the pace and began to increase their shots on target.
But Ipswich were able to adapt and with fresh legs on court kept a lead of 41-22.
Moving into the final quarter, Webb changed to WA with Adams returning to C, Lucy Munro on at WD and Rash back on at GD.
Hornets applied pressure throughout court and injury calls from Adams and Stevens prompted Anna Hollis to take C, Stokell back onto WD, Munro moved to GD and Rash to GK.
Ipswich found it difficult to settle and Hornets took advantage, however the strong start from the home team meant Ipswich clinched the win come the final whistle. Score 45-39 to Ipswich Ladies.
Starting Seven: GS – Livvy Patten; GA – Safia Ludlam; WA – Mollie Armes; C – Lucy Adams; WD – Rochelle Gordon-Scott; GD – Fiona Rash; GK – Cat Stevens
Bench: India Foster, Anna Hollis, Lucy Munro, Charlotte Stokell, Chesney Webb
Next game is on 18 November, away versus Essex team, Bears.