Graham Gooch stepping down at Essex
GRAHAM Gooch is to step down as first-team batting coach at Essex.
Former Essex and England skipper Gooch will now focus fully on his role with the England set-up as a full-time coach, whilst remaining as club ambassador for Essex.
He said: “I’m sad that I am unable to continue my coaching duties with Essex. I never wanted to relinquish this role at the club working with Paul (Grayson) but as my England commitments have grown it is now impossible to do justice to both roles. I look forward to supporting Essex Cricket in the future through my work as the club ambassador.”
Matt Walker will join the coaching staff where he will become assistant to head coach, Paul Grayson.
Walker joined Essex in 2009 from Kent and will continue to be registered as a player for the club, but will be primarily part of the coaching team.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am very honoured and flattered to be asked to become assistant coach to Paul at Essex. I am very much looking forward to the new role, especially working with an exciting group of players.
“Although I will be registered as a player, I’m extremely focused on helping Paul Grayson and the rest of the coaching staff achieve success in the near future.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 8 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 9 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 10 Over 4,000 people test positive for Covid with cases continuing to rise
Grayson commented: “We want to thank Graham for his services with the coaching side of the team. He has been a massive support to both the playing squad and myself but we understand his England requirements he has.
“I am really excited to be working alongside Matt Walker as he has vast knowledge of the game and I know he is looking forward to this next chapter of his career.”