Great Britain draw first blood in Test series
- Credit: Archant
GB 50 Australia 40
Great Britain got this Premier International five-meeting Test series against Australia off to the perfect start with a 50-40 victory at Foxhall Stadium.
In a night of tigerish racing and fast times, GB took an early lead, but saw it pegged back, before pulling away in the final third of the meeting.
Richard Lawson, the Workington Comets No.1 proved an inspired reserve for GB, netting three victories, while it was apt for home fans to cheer Witches star Ben Barker onto victory in heat 13 to secure victory.
Ipswich’s Leigh Lanham had a couple of good rides, while team-mate Adam Ellis was always on the pace.
Australia will be disappointed, with only Jason Doyle and Josh Grajczonek seriously getting among the home riders.
Full report and picture special in Friday’s EADT and Ipswich Star.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 5 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue