‘Great to be back’ – super Heeps grabs Witches a point
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Cameron Heeps produced a star performance but couldn’t stop Ipswich Witches losing their opening League Cup clash at Rye House 46-43 on Saturday night.
The Aussie teenager won four races on his way to an impressive 15-point haul that included a crucial last -heat win to grab the Suffolk side a deserved bonus point.
It was no more than the Witches deserved but they could have had more, with engine problems and falls costing them dear.
Stefan Nielsen suffered machine problems that saw him drop points, while Rohan Tungate, Nico Covatti and Gino Manzares were all excluded for falls, as the Witches threw away an early six-point lead.
In the end they were grateful for strong performances from Heeps and No.1 Daniel King throughout.
“It’s good to be back,” Heeps beamed after the meeting.
“I thought I had a decent meeting on Thursday but my set-up was right from the off tonight and I felt really good.
- 1 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 2 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 5 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 6 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 7 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 8 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
- 9 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 10 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
“I need to kick on now. It’s time for me to show what I can do and I have done that tonight.”
Full meeting report and more quotes and pictures in Monday’s Ipswich Star and EADT newspapers.
Rye House: E Kennett 8+2, R Aspegren 10+1, A Mellgren 4, S Boxall 9, N Jakobsen 8, L Bowen 3+1, K Lykke 4.
Ipswich: D King 11+1, R/R, G Manzares 2, C Heeps 15, R Tungate 4, S Nielsen 5, N Covatti 6.