‘Great to be back’ – super Heeps grabs Witches a point
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Cameron Heeps produced a star performance but couldn’t stop Ipswich Witches losing their opening League Cup clash at Rye House 46-43 on Saturday night.
The Aussie teenager won four races on his way to an impressive 15-point haul that included a crucial last -heat win to grab the Suffolk side a deserved bonus point.
It was no more than the Witches deserved but they could have had more, with engine problems and falls costing them dear.
Stefan Nielsen suffered machine problems that saw him drop points, while Rohan Tungate, Nico Covatti and Gino Manzares were all excluded for falls, as the Witches threw away an early six-point lead.
In the end they were grateful for strong performances from Heeps and No.1 Daniel King throughout.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s good to be back,” Heeps beamed after the meeting.
“I thought I had a decent meeting on Thursday but my set-up was right from the off tonight and I felt really good.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 5 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 6 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Ipswich Town 0-0 MK Dons: Blues again fail to register shot on target in drab draw
- 10 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
“I need to kick on now. It’s time for me to show what I can do and I have done that tonight.”
Full meeting report and more quotes and pictures in Monday’s Ipswich Star and EADT newspapers.
Rye House: E Kennett 8+2, R Aspegren 10+1, A Mellgren 4, S Boxall 9, N Jakobsen 8, L Bowen 3+1, K Lykke 4.
Ipswich: D King 11+1, R/R, G Manzares 2, C Heeps 15, R Tungate 4, S Nielsen 5, N Covatti 6.