Francis at the double as Seasiders extend their lead at the top of Thurlow Nunn Premier
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Great Yarmouth 0 Felixstowe & Walton 2
On a bitterly cold afternoon, the wide open spaces of the Wellesley provided little protection for the hardy band of Felixstowe supporters who made up over half the 131 crowd, writes Chris Ryan.
But they were rewarded for their journey as well taken goals in each half by Joe Francis provided three valuable points for the Seasiders and increased their lead at the top of the table as Coggeshall were held at home in a 0-0 draw with Kirkley & Pakefield.
Missed first half opportunities by Felixstowe provided encouragement for the home side as their determination and belief increased after the interval and the second goal, six minutes from time, in an otherwise low key game, finally settled the visitors’ nerves and any doubt about the result.
Francis showed his intention in the second minute, receiving a long crossfield pass from Miles Powell before volleying over the bar, followed by home keeper Jack Whatmough producing an excellent save to deny Scott Chaplin from close range as he met a cross from Francis.
You may also want to watch:
Good build up play from the Seasiders saw Sam Ford shoot narrowly wide before Francis opened the scoring, completing a flowing move with an excellent strike from 16 yards, midway through the half.
Haydn Davis impressed for the Bloaters, shooting narrowly wide following a strong run from the half way line, and Aaron Sanders also went close from distance as the home side pressed for a reply. Felixstowe finished the half strongly, with Whatmough saving from Stuart Ainsley and Ford going close as opportunities continued to be created without the lead increasing.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 6 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
Yarmouth showed greater urgency from the restart, with Kyle Howell’s shot charged down by the visiting defence and Danny Crump quickly off his line to deny Josh Ford. Few opportunities were created by either side in the second half until Powell split the home defence with a telling pass to Francis, who skipped in from the right and deftly placed the ball over the advancing Whatmough to confirm the win.
The Seasiders now look forward to the visit of second-placed Coggeshall Town to the Goldstar Ground next Saturday.
Referee: Harry Scott