Gutsy Hadleigh put on a fine display but it’s the Jockeys who canter off with the points
- Credit: Archant
Thurlow Nunn Premier Hadleigh 0 Newmarket Town 2
The Brettsiders produced a fighting display against the high-flying Jockeys after trailing by two goals within 17 minutes in this Thurlow Nunn Premier match.
The visitors looked likely to overwhelm the young Hadleigh side but despite enjoying a lot of possession failed to add to their tally with home skipper Gary Burdett a tower of strength in defence.
The visitors dominated the opening period and Bowen forced keeper Mansfield into a fine early save while Thurlbourne set up Diapper who drove straight at the keeper. The pressure was rewarded in the 15th minute when leading scorer Whitehead advanced down the left and sent a cross to the far post and Austin Bowen tapped home.
Two minutes later the visitors extended their lead when Watson’s precision pass split the Hadleigh defence culminating in Deacon Napier’s driven shot taking a deflection wrong-footing Mansfield.
You may also want to watch:
The home side replied with three decent efforts that saw debutant Davis firing across Nower’s goal and then the keeper blocking attempts from Sharp and Fox. The visitor’s regained the initiative before the break with their expansive football that resulted in Whitehead striking the woodwork, Webster heading wide and Napier drilling a terrific shot straight at Mansfield.
Hadleigh, seeking to avoid relegation, looked more organised in the second half and well served by the excellent Kyle Cassell whose inventive play was a feature.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 7 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
One penetrative run ended with his shot being deflected for a corner while Davis hit a decent effort into the side netting.
The Jockeys continued to be largely dominant with Whitehead, Thurlbourne and Diapper always lively with their interchanging play but spurned some decent chances and failed to replicate their first half potency.
For Hadleigh, Stuart Alston’s side showed sufficient energy to suggest their longevity at this level should be assured in the weeks ahead.
Hadleigh: Mansfield, Ross (Golding 65th), Davis, Lambert, Burdett, Elliott, Cassell, Driscoll, Fox (Hammond (77th), Crisp, Sharp (Lewis 65th).
Subs Unused: Gaffer, Bilner.
Newmarket Town: Nower, Chivers (Seymour 64th), Betson, Webster, Bowen, Watson, Thurlbourne, Paterson, Whitehead, Diapper, Napier (Foster 81st).
Subs Not Used: Seaber - Shinn, Goddard.
Referee: Daniel Cook