Blues take up option to extend Edwards’ contract
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have extended Gwion Edwards stay at Ipswich Town by a further year.
The Welshman was one of five players whose deal was due to expire on June 30, all of which had the option for the club to extend for a further 12 months.
Edwards is the only one of those five players to have their option taken, with Cole Skuse handed a fresh contract while Will Keane, Jordan Roberts and Danny Rowe are all set to depart on June 30. However, the club have said they would be open to talking about new deals with those three once the impact of coronavirus on the world of football has become clearer.
The club had been keen to negotiate fresh terms with Edwards but, for now, have taken their option to extend by a further year.
MORE: Town will need to make some tough decisions when it comes to out-of-contract playersSpeaking on March 13, the day football was suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak, Edwards said: “I’m settled here and would like to stay. My ambition is to play again in the Championship and I know the club want to get back there as soon as they can too.
“There hasn’t been any talk yet about it. We’ve just been concentrating on the games and we’ll deal with the contract situation nearer the time. The club have the one-year option and I think they have until the third Saturday in May, or something like that, to decide if they want to trigger it.”
You may also want to watch:
IPSWICH TOWN CONTRACTS
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
Rowe, Roberts, Keane
Holy, Donacien, Chambers, Huws, Judge, Wilson, Sears, Jackson, Nolan, Bishop, Nsiala, Nydam, El Mizouni, Wright, Skuse, Dozzell, Edwards, McGavin, Dobra, Drinan, Przybek, Folami, Morris, Cotter, Clements, Gibbs, Andoh, Z.Brown, K.Brown
Downes, Woolfenden, Norwood, Lankester, Kenlock, Ndaba, Crowe, Smith, Simpson,