Hadleigh cyclists gear up for first sportive dedicated to top flyer Oswald Gayford
- Credit: Archant
Planning for the first sportive to be hosted by a Suffolk cycling club is going “pretty much as planned”.
Hadleigh Cycling Club will host the event, which features 100km and 50km routes, on September 20.
It has been named The Gayford Flyer after noted pilot Oswald Gayford, a former resident of the town.
Spaces are limited to 300 riders and entry is £10, although a 10km social ride is free, with donations welcomed.
Club treasurer Benson Ho said: “We’re in the final stages of planning so we are just finalising things for the day.
You may also want to watch:
“We have allocated 300 places for this year. This is just a means of making sure everything will be manageable for the day.
“It’s very exciting. Obviously there is a lot to do and we want to put on a good show but everyone is really looking forward to it.”
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 2 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
Mr Ho said nearly 100 people had signed up already, which at this stage was “very encouraging”.
The ride, which people can sign up for via the British Cycling website, will be a noncompetitive event.
Mr Ho added: “When we first started the club we wanted to build it up from the ground.
“It’s about getting young people into the sport and we want to keep that as our ethos.”
For more information visit www.thegayfordflyer.info or www.hadleighcyclingclub.org