Halford stuns U's with transfer request
COLCHESTER United star Greg Halford has stunned the Championship club by slapping in a transfer request.The highly-rated Halford, pictured right, announced his decision yesterday, on the eve of last night's Carling Cup first round tie at MK Dons, which the U's lost 1-0 after extra time.
By Carl Marston
COLCHESTER United star Greg Halford has stunned the Championship club by slapping in a transfer request.
The highly-rated Halford, pictured right, announced his decision yesterday, on the eve of last night's Carling Cup first round tie at MK Dons, which the U's lost 1-0 after extra time.
Halford, who has come up through the youth ranks at Colchester, has attracted interest from a host of clubs over the last couple of seasons, including the likes of Newcastle, Manchester United, Tottenham and Norwich.
The 21-year-old looked on the point of moving last January, when the transfer window was open, but the U's success in the league and the FA Cup - they played at Chelsea in a money-spinning fifth round tie - meant that the Essex club did not need to sell any of their star players.
U's manager Geraint Williams confirmed last night: “Yes, it is true that Greg (Halford) has handed in a transfer request to the club, but we are not looking for him to leave at this time.
- 1 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 2 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's Bolton loss
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Luton join race for £13k a week Walton
- 5 Teenage girl grabbed by man in seaside town
- 6 Investigations continue after car crashed into home
- 7 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
- 8 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 9 'Dishonest to the core' burglar jailed for four years
- 10 Motorist was three times the drink drive limit in Stowmarket
“We have made no secret of the fact that we are doing all we can to bring in players. So shipping them out is the last thing on my mind.”
U's chief executive Marie Partner said: “It's something that was going to happen for a while. It has been bubbling under for some time.
“Although Greg has handed in an official transfer request, the club have not received any offers that are near to what we feel is his true valuation. We would like to keep him at the club.”
Chelmsford-born Halford, despite handing in his transfer request earlier in the day, still started last night's game at Milton Keynes. It was his 134th senior appearance.
The 6ft 4ins utility player has operated in a variety of positions during the last three years, including right-back, right-midfield, central midfield and as a striker. He has also enjoyed international experience with England Under-20s at the Toulon Tournament in France.
Any interested clubs will not have long to make an offer for Halford. The transfer deadline comes into effect at the end of this month.