Hames hammers highest score for Suffolk Seniors
NEIL Hames set a new record individual high score for a Suffolk seniors player when he led the county’s Over-60s to a fantastic winning run chase against Leicestershire at Woolpit on Tuesday.
The visitors, batting first on what acting skipper Rick Jones described as ‘an absolute road’, posted 274 for one in their 45 overs.
But that proved to be an inadequate target as Hames opened the Suffolk reply and carried his bat for an unbeaten 174.
The left-hander, hit 32 boundaries and set up a seven-wicket win with three overs to spare.
“It was the highest run chase I’ve known for a Suffolk team at this level,” added Jones.
You may also want to watch:
It was a testament to Hames’ fitness and concentration that having fielded for 45 overs – including bowling seven overs of off-spin – he could remain at the middle for the 42 overs of Suffolk’s reply at the age of 61.
Hames played 110 Minor Counties matches for Buckinghamshire before moving to Suffolk where he was a successful captain of the Over-50s team until a couple of years ago.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
It was also the highest score of his long career.
Hames put on 42 for the first wicket with Ray Black, whose contribution was a modest three.
Debutant Martin Eeles then came to the crease and scored 59 while a further 171 runs were added for the second wicket.
By now the target was in sight and Jones (18) helped take the total on to 269 before he departed. Dick Bond came out to finish the job off with the commanding Hames.
In hindsight Suffolk’s bowlers deserve credit for restricting Leicestershire to a run a ball.
Another newcomer, Stuart Carpenter, only conceded 27 from his nine-over stint while Bruce Tompkins (one for 46 in seven) and Eeles (six overs for 31) also played their part.
Scores: Leicestershire Over-60s 274 for 1 (R Ogden 124no, G Fox 85, R Inchley 31no). Suffolk Over-60s 275 for 3 (N Hames 174no, M Eeles 59). Suffolk won by 7 wkts.
It was Suffolk’s second win of the season, against one loss so far.
They are in action again on Tuesday against Essex at Frinton.
Team: Peter Webb, Rick Jones, Ray Black, Peter Boughton, Neil Hames, Andy Morgan, Bruce Tompkins, Brian Cole, Mark Sargeant, Bob Perrett and Dick Bond.