Hampel's season with Witches may be over
JAREK Hampel's season with the Ipswich Evening Star Witches could be over.The Speedway Control Board have slapped a 28-day ban on the Polish rider for his non-appearance at Foxhall Stadium last night, meaning Hampel will miss Monday night's play-off clash at Poole and possibly both legs of the final, should the Witches get there.
JAREK Hampel's season with the Ipswich Evening Star Witches could be over.
The Speedway Control Board have slapped a 28-day ban on the Polish rider for his non-appearance at Foxhall Stadium last night, meaning Hampel will miss Monday night's play-off clash at Poole and possibly both legs of the final, should the Witches get there.
Hampel was told by his Polish club Leszno he had to race in last night's play-off meeting against Czestochowa, while the Witches wanted him too.
You may also want to watch:
His Polish club was always going to win that one, but it now leaves Hampel out in the cold as regards the British scene.
Witches promoter John Louis is not impressed.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 4 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 5 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 6 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 7 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 10 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
“I personally think it is wrong,” Louis said.
“We are all supposed to care about our sport and yet on Monday in the semi-finals, Jarek is available for us to race, but is not allowed to. And why?
“What choice did he have? He didn't cause the rain-off last week at Czestochowa and it wasn't his fault it was re-arranged for last night. And yet he is banned for missing a meeting with us.
“In Poland he would have had his licence taken away if he hadn't ridden for Leszno.
“It's hardly good for the sport.
“Special dispensation should have been given to us because Jarek would happily have ridden here if there was no clash.”
The Witches will be able to use a guest for Monday's night's semi-final TV clash and today Louis was working on getting a rider.
They will be hoping the 28-day ban is reduced to a 14-day one, which would allow Hampel to race in one of the final legs should the Witches get there.