Harleston 1 Cambridge Uni 1

NE14Hockey East Men's LeaguePremier AHarleston 1 Cambridge Uni 1HARLESTON men, sponsored by Hutton and Legg, returned to league action this weekend after a two-week absence.

NE14Hockey East Men's League

Premier A

Harleston 1 Cambridge Uni 1

HARLESTON men, sponsored by Hutton and Legg, returned to league action this weekend after a two-week absence. Even with the lack of game play the squad had trained hard, determined to carry on their winning ways.

Despite their best preparations the team struggled to find their feet in the early stages as the Uni side pressed hard forcing Harleston into uncharacteristic errors. The game became more open as both sides pushed to find the opener; Neil Toulson snuck in at the back post but was unable to convert a ball from Hipwell.

Harleston had shut the door on many Uni attacks but it was an unforced error from Sitch which cost them the goal when he was caught in possession allowing the Uni side to slot the ball home. Finding them selves a goal down for only the second time this season the team fought back hard in the first half but still could not find their usual flowing hockey.

Most Read

At half time the team looked on the positives that despite not playing their best hockey and the University side throwing everything they had at them they still only found themselves a goal down and still in the game. Again the second half started at a frightening pace with chances being created at both ends, despite a barrage of short corners Harleston were unable to find the equaliser. While down the other end the team had Richard Gill to thank clearing two short corners off the line.

The momentum of the game had changed and as Harleston pushed for the vital equaliser they left themselves exposed at the back, the team having Richard Harms to thank when the keeper was rapid off his line to eliminate an attacker at the top of the D. Shortly after this escape the team found themselves a player down when Stuart Leate took one for the team when he was given his marching orders for a professional foul.

With five minutes to go Andy Hipwell fired in a trademark short corner to give Harleston the goal they desperately craved. With little time left Uni pushed hard but the back four of Leate, Sumner, Ling and Sitch fought hard to keep the door well and truly shut.

Although not a trade mark performance by Harleston, a battling encounter showed the spirit of the team and took them one point closer to the National League. With results going their way the team moved a point further clear from the chasing pack as Havering and Albans both dropped points.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter