Harleston 7 Harpenden 0

Premier AHarleston Magpies 7 Harpenden 0Champions Harleston hit a magnificent seven in their penultimate home league game of the season against already relegated Harpenden.

Premier A

Harleston Magpies 7 Harpenden 0

Champions Harleston hit a magnificent seven in their penultimate home league game of the season against already relegated Harpenden.

In the previous encounter Harpenden had packed their 'D', limiting the usual free scoring Harleston to only three goals, however this time a more attacking ploy saw them undone.

You may also want to watch:

Harleston welcomed Dan Stasin to the squad for his first team debut, the youngster making an early impression down the right.

With the majority of the possession Harleston struggled to create any clear cut chances in the first 15 minutes, Harpenden's defence holding firm with their young goalkeeper making some exceptional saves to keep the scores even.

Most Read

Harleston eventually found the breakthrough after Andrew Bedwell and Tristan Baynes stole the ball on the left to play in Andy Hipwell on the 25 who threaded the ball through to James Fanger to deflect the ball past the advancing goalkeeper.

Buoyed by the breakthrough, Harleston started to carve the Harpenden defence open, Tom Sumner waltzing into the 'D' before forcing his shot against the post from a tight angle with Neil Toulson unable to turn the rebound in.

Andy Hipwell then grabbed two goals in quick succession, both with well-taken short corners.

Iain Martin was called into action for the first time in two games when he was forced into logging action at a short corner to keep his clean sheet intact.

With the ball being played round the park well by the Harleston players the fourth goal came following super one touch hockey down the right which allowed James Wheeler to sneak in and grab his standard goal from the bench.

Despite Harpenden going in four goals down at the turn around credit must go to them for their disciplined display in the second half.

After a slow start, Harleston soon picked up the tempo and after playing the ball down the right Andy Hipwell fed Richard Gill at the top of the 'D' who, with the goal keeper advancing towards him, audaciously lobbed the ball into the empty goal.

James Wheeler grabbed his second of the game, powering home from close range, before Richard Gill grabbed the seventh from a short corner.

Harleston now have a weeks break for Easter before travelling to local rivals Dereham in their penultimate game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus