Pell bags sweet brace as U’s ease to victory at Port Vale
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Port Vale 0 Colchester United 3
Harry Pell bagged a brace, including a candidate for goal of the season, as Colchester United returned to winning ways in style at Port Vale this afternoon.
Having dropped out of the top seven following a four-game winless run, the U’s were good value for their comfortable win at Vale Park, to secure a league double over the Potteries club following a 2-0 home win last August.
The U’s dominated the first 20 minutes, during which they built up a two-goal advantage and effectively took the game by the scruff of the neck.
Mikael Mandron, who retained his place up front, hit the bar after just three minutes.
You may also want to watch:
But the U’s did take the lead just two minutes later, thanks to Courtney Senior’s fifth minute opener.
Senior trapped Ryan Jackson’s throw before sending a low shot past keeper Brown, via a deflection.
- 1 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 2 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 3 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 4 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 5 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 6 Mike Bacon: 'Be careful what you wish for' - But we've been proved right, we saw this coming years ago
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 8 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 9 One person taken to hospital after A12 crash
- 10 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
Pell doubled the lead in the 17th minute, beating Brown all ends up with a well-struck low drive from a corner routine.
Vale came more into the game later in the second half and Luke Joyce rattled a post with a left-footed shot in the 42nd minute.
Into the second half and Senior had a shot saved in the 58th minute, before Pell made the game safe with a wonder strike in the 69th minute.
Brennan Dickenson provided the assist but it was all about Pell, who let fly from 30 yards out with a right-footed shot that flew into the top corner of the net.
There was no way back for struggling Vale.
COLCHESTER: Gilmartin, Jackson, Prosser, Eastman, Dickenson, Lapslie, Pell, Senior (sub Comley, 77), Szmodics (sub Gondoh, 90), Nouble (sub Norris, 81), Mandron. Unused subs: Barnes, Wright, Dunne, Kensdale.