Haverhill are dominant in Mildenhall romp
EASTERN COUNTIES 2: Mildenhall 0 Haverhill 56
HAVERHILL dominated Mildenhall, Jake Jeffs converting a penalty from the half way line after ten minutes.
Eight minutes later, Haverhill’s Gavin Hope spun the ball wide to Jeffs, before skipper Hunt released the storming Brodie Patrick to crash over the line for a Jeffs converted try.
Sustained pressure seven minutes later saw Mildenhall infringe and the quick-thinking Hope tapped and ran straight through the Mildenhall line to stroll over the line under the posts, Jeffs taking the two points with ease.
Another Jeffs penalty on 35 minutes took the score to 20-0 and then, from a Haverhill scrum on their 22m line, Simon Potter broke from the back, releasing Hope for Jeffs to time the perfect pass for Patrick to storm 70 metres up the wing.
He cut into the park and finished up with three Mildenhall players hanging from him as he crossed the line under the posts for his second try. Jeffs converted.
On 49 minutes, another infringement by Mildenhall was punished by Hope who chipped and scored under the posts for Jeffs to convert.
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 7 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
The restart saw Dan Harris taken in the air for a penalty and Jeffs kicked to the opposite corner, but Mildenhall just managed to clear.
It was not long though before Haverhill crossed the line, although slightly luckily.
With a two man overlap, Hunt cut back into the centre, but managed to just get the ball to Carew who slammed over the line for an unconverted try.
On 55 minutes another flowing move ended with Wilkinson storming over the line under the posts for Jeffs to convert.
Hope then took a huge punt 70 metres up the park for Hunt to harry the Mildenhall full-back and to score in the corner. His conversion failed with the injured Jeffs off the pitch.
With ten minutes a rushed Mildenhall clearance only went as far as the storming Hunt, who smashed over in the corner.