Haverhill make it to next round
FA CUP PRELIMINARY ROUNDHaverhill 3Wootton Blue Cross 0THE First Qualifying Round beckons for Haverhill following their second consecutive clean sheet in the F.
FA CUP PRELIMINARY ROUND
Wootton Blue Cross 0
THE First Qualifying Round beckons for Haverhill following their second consecutive clean sheet in the F.A. Cup, two first-half goals from Marcus Hunt and an injury time third from Neil Cogger seeing them through.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts' first goal came after four minutes when Richard Heller went down in the penalty area under a challenge from Dave Thompson, Hunt stepping up to put the spot-kick into the bottom right corner and send goalkeeper Mathew Jones the wrong way.
Paul Shaw came close to extending the lead when he headed the ball on to the top of the Wootton bar, while both Heller and Cogger went down in the area after consecutive challenges. Either one of these could have resulted in a penalty, but no spot-kick was given.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 3 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 4 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 10 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
With Wootton gradually looking more effective in the final third of the field they were dealt a blow in the 43rd minute when Haverhill netted their second.
Again the move involved Cogger crossing for Shaw, and again Shaw's header hit the bar. This time however Hunt was on the spot as the ball came straight back on to his head and he placed the ball in the net.
The second half saw Wootton coming back into the match, captain Steve Gentle almost scoring at both ends of the pitch. His first effort was cleared off the line by home defender Colin Vowden, while at the other end he nearly added to Haverhill's lead when he put a low cross by Cogger just wide of one of his own uprights.
With the travelling side still going forward, they were hit on the counter-attack four minutes into injury time as the scoring was completed.
A ball over the top by Jamie Challis allowed Cogger to run inside from the left wing and latch on to it before dispatching it under Jones and inside the near left-hand post.