‘He is one of our own’ – Colchester United boss John McGreal on match-winner Sammmie Szmodics
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss John McGreal heaped praise on match-winner Sammie Szmodics following the super sub’s 84th minute winner in a 1-0 victory at Barnet this afternoon.
The U’s extended their fine recent run in League Two to just one defeat in eight league games, thanks to a wonderful late winner from attacking midfielder Szmodics.
On as a 73rd minute substitute, Szmodics obliged with a terrific winner just 11 minutes later.
Back in the squad after a six-week absence with ankle ligament damage, Szmodics made room for himself just outside the penalty are before lashing home a curling shot, giving keeper Jamie Stephens no chance.
“He is one of our own,” enthused boss McGreal.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s been with the club since a tender age and he is a real fans’ favourite.
“It was a great way to win a football match. It was a great goal, and I don’t think any keeper from any division would have stopped that one.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
“I’m very pleased for Sammie. We know that he is always a threat, and he was always going to come on at some point, it was just a matter of when.
“In a way he showed selfishness with the goal. He could have slid the ball out to Jacko (Ryan Jackson), but instead he turned onto his weaker foot and went for goal.
“We just have to look after Sammie, because of all his recent injuries, but he’s very important to the team and this was a great win for us,” added McGreal.