Heartbreak for Hannah Martin and England as USA win in South Africa
- Credit: Archant
World League semi-finals: England 1 USA 1: USA won the shoot-out
Hannah Martin was on target for a second game running, but it proved in vain as the USA defeated England in a dramatic penalty shoot-out in the Hockey World League semi-finals.
Captain Melissa Gonzalez netted the winning penalty despite Maddie Hinch’s best efforts, the England stopper making four stops in the shoot-out itself.
Former Ipswich School pupil, Martin, had given England the lead in normal time, a lead that they kept until the closing minutes.
But Jill Witmer levelled to send the game to the shoot-out – the USA will now play Germany in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Reflecting on the match, coach David Ralph said: “We are disappointed with the result tonight. It was an intense, tight game that unfortunately didn’t go our way.
“This is a great group though and we will regroup and look forward to playing Argentina on Sunday.”
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 4 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 5 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 7 Restraining order for venue boss who intimidated council leader's daughter
- 8 Returning fans, new faces and a visit from Premier League royalty - Town face Crystal Palace as pre-season moves up a gear
- 9 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 10 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
That game starts at 10am UK time – live on BT Sport.