Heath signs one-year extension at Colchester
COLCHESTER United defender Matt Heath has signed a one-year contract extension at the club.
The 29-year-old centre-back, who is enjoying his best season at the club, was due to be out-of-contract this summer.
He joins keepers Mark Cousins and Carl Pentney in putting pen to paper on a new deal. The club is still negotiating with the likes of Steven Gillespie, David Perkins, Ian Henderson and John White, while it is still unclear whether Lee Beevers and Conor Powell will be offered new deals.
Simon Hackney, Sam Corcoran, Morten Knudsen and Medy Elito have already been informed they will be released this summer, with academy Bradley Hamilton, Jordan Sanderson and Craig Arnott set to sign professional terms.
Former Leicester, Coventry and Leeds defender Heath hasn’t always been first choice at Colchester since Geraint Williams brought him to the club in May 2008.
You may also want to watch:
An upbeat figure in the dressing room he has always been ready when called upon though and has really stepped up a level under John Ward this season.
With Magnus Okuonghae and Pat Baldwin both suffering long-term injuries this season and Paul Reid sold in January, Heath has made 29 of his 74 Colchester appearances this campaign.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 5 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 8 Go-ahead for 150 new homes in Suffolk village
- 9 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
And the defence has generally looked more solid with him in it, with the U’s conceding four at Carlisle and Yeovil when he was not in the team.