Heidi stars as Suffolk ladies win
SUFFOLK county ladies scored a confidence-boosting whitewash against a Suffolk PGA team in glorious conditions at Stowmarket Golf Club.It was a foursomes match with the ladies being given a four-hole start.
SUFFOLK county ladies scored a confidence-boosting whitewash against a Suffolk PGA team in glorious conditions at Stowmarket Golf Club.
It was a foursomes match with the ladies being given a four-hole start.
The ladies played so well that they would have won had the match been played level.
Suffolk Ladies were accurate off the tee and often used their putters to devastating effect.
You may also want to watch:
Heidi Baek, still only 13 years old, was outstanding. She chipped in from a bunker at the first and chipped very close from a bunker on the second.
Her partner, second team captain Lucy Black, was called up at short notice in place of Amanda Norman who had a fall. She rose to the occasion against Simon Harrison and Kevin Earp, an established pairing who won the Joe Proudfoot Memorial Cup at Southwold last year.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 4 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
At the top of the order, Liz Laflin and Sharon Luckman never allowed Paul Wilby and Alastair Spink to put in a meaningful challenge while Suffolk captain Lils James and Vicki Inglis ended eight up against Robin Mann and Chris Ashton of Suffolk Golf & Water Park, who was playing in his first Suffolk PGA event since moving from Pannal Golf Club near Harrogate.
A chip-in by Inglis from off the green on the 15th added salt to wounded professional pride.
It looked as though Frank Hill and Henry Roblin might score a win for the professionals when they went one up with three to play.
This spurred on Jo Taylor and Korrell Holley to win the 16th and 17th When Hill's tee shot at the 18th rolled through the back of the green and Taylor found the centre of the green it was as good as all over.
Suffolk Ladies could make an impact in County Week at Royal Norwich between June 19 and 21 if they can repeat this sort of form.
Ladies names first: Liz Laflin & Sharon Luckman beat Paul Wilby & Alastair Spink by five holes, Lils James & Vicki Inglis beat Robin Mann & Chris Ashton by eight holes, Jo Taylor & Korrell Holley beat Frank Hill & Henry Roblin by one hole, Lucy Black & Heidi Baek beat Simon Harrison & Kevin Earp by six holes.