Heidi wins girls' title at Rookery Park
HEIDI Baek of Kesgrave High School won the girls' title at the South East of England Schools' Championship at Rookery Park Golf Club. Her rounds of 77 and 78 left her four shots ahead of two-handicap Nicole Whitmore from Buckinghamshire.
By Tony Garnett
HEIDI Baek of Kesgrave High School won the girls' title at the South East of England Schools' Championship at Rookery Park Golf Club.
Her rounds of 77 and 78 left her four shots ahead of two-handicap Nicole Whitmore from Buckinghamshire. Georgina Kilby of the Plume School in Maldon, was third.
In the county team section, Suffolk girls were runners-up to Essex going down by two shots after holding a five shot advantage after the first round.
You may also want to watch:
The boys' champion was James Phillips, a six-handicapper from Norwich School, with rounds of 72 and 77.
Scott Brace (Great Cornard Upper School) was runner-up, with his younger brother Liam third with rounds of 74 and 77.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 7 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
Suffolk lost in the team event to Norfolk on countback with both Alastair Hall (Bungay High School) and Ben Farthing (Kesgrave High School) below their best.
It was especially disappointing that Farthing, an England Schools' international last year with victories over both Wales and Scotland, should miss out of the second stage of qualification at Walsall on June 25.
Last year, Farthing proved to be an excellent ambassador for schools' golf at the highest level.
The event was sponsored by Ransomes Jacobsen Ltd and had financial backing from Suffolk Schools' Sports Association.
Boys' qualifiers for Walsall: James Phillips (Norwich School) 72 77, Scott Brace (Great Cornard Upper) 76 74. Liam Brace (Great Cornard Upper) 74 77, Andrew Lee (Essex) 78 78, Kit Holmes (Norfolk) 80 77, Matthew Knight (Essex) 77 80, Dean Parker (Norfolk) 79 79, Steve Jones (Herts) 82 77, Nick Ansell (Essex) 81 79, Sam Claridge (Herts) 80 81.
Other scores: Ben Farthing (Kesgrave HS) 81 84.
Girls' qualifiers: Heidi Baek (Kesgrave HS, Suffolk) 77 78, Georgina Kilby (Plume School, Maldon) 82 78, Liz Sweetnam (Beds) 88 78 and Daisey Dyer (Essex) 89 79.
Other scores included: Korell Holley (Finborough School, Suffolk) 83 88; Amanda Amey (Copleston HS) 98 86.