Higgins brace sets Clarets on way to victory
Sam Higgins bagged his first brace for the club as Chelmsford City beat Maldon & Tiptree at The Wallace Binder Stadium for their first victory of pre-season.
SAM Higgins bagged his first brace for the club as Chelmsford City beat Maldon & Tiptree at The Wallace Binder Stadium for their first victory of pre-season.
The young striker took just four minutes to open his account, getting on the end of a Stephen Reed corner from the right before heading home.
And it was a case of the same again seven minutes later when Reed’s right-sided flag kick was nodded home from same unmarked player.
The Blue Square South visitors added a third after 36 minutes when Tyrone Scarlett found the roof of the net from a tight angle on the right.
You may also want to watch:
Joe Sweeney’s reply after the break proved to be a mere consolation for the Ryman League Division One North side though as Chelmsford’s Anthony Cook was grounded on his way into the box with a minute left and Matthew Lock tucked away the spot-kick.
The Clarets now face Heybridge Swifts on Tuesday night (7.30pm).
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies