High praise for West Ham loanee Leo Chambers from Colchester United boss
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United boss, Kevin Keen, has heaped praise on West Ham United loanee defender, Leo Chambers.
Chambers has caught the eye during his first two matches on loan with the struggling U’s, firstly helping them to keep a first clean-sheet for nearly five months in last weekend’s goaless draw against Shrewsbury.
And the 20-year-old followed this up with another strong display, in the heart of defence, for the U’s 2-1 win at Bradford City on Tuesday night, which was the Essex club’s first league win in a remarkable 133 days, stretching to 20 league matches.
Ironically, Chambers had different centre-half partners in both these matches, his first two appearances in the Football League – he was alongside fellow youngster Frankie Kent against the Shrews, and the more experienced Tom Eastman at Valley Parade.
“Leo has come into the team and done well,” enthused manager Keen.
You may also want to watch:
“He is not the biggest centre-back, by any stretch of the imagination, but what we’ve got is an intelligent, clever player.
“Leo reads the game very well, and deals with the ball fantastically.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 10 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
“We’ve got our first clean-sheet for a while, and now our first win.
“It’s no surprise because the lad (Chambers) has come in and given us a little something different,” added Keen.
Chambers made three appearances for West Ham in the League Cup, back in 2013, but was then hampered by a serious hamstring injury for a couple of years.