Hockey: Sudbury Ladies I 1, Lowestoft 1
Sudbury Ladies soon began to dominate in their final match of the season. An aerial ball out of defence by Spooner was well controlled by Eley, but the umpire disagreed and claimed Eley's stick was too high.
Sudbury Ladies I 1, Lowestoft Ladies I 1
Sudbury Ladies soon began to dominate in their final match of the season. An aerial ball out of defence by Spooner was well controlled by Eley, but the umpire disagreed and claimed Eley's stick was too high. Eley was then harshly shown a yellow card. Sudbury stepped their game up a gear to cover, with good defending from Caddock, Stephens, Clarke, Spooner and keeper Mackay.
Colton, Amy and Casey Humphries, Sloan and player-of-the-match Jones, in midfield, were too much for Lowestoft who were forced into errors. One led to a penalty corner and a perfectly placed flick from Jones dipped over the keeper into the back of the net from the top of the 'D', to put Sudbury in the lead.
No sooner had Eley returned, then Lowestoft lost one of their players to the same offence. Sudbury took advantage and some good attacking play by Shepherdson and Eley up front made things very uncomfortable for the visitors. A cross to the far post saw a composed Shepherdson reverse stick flick the ball over the diving keeper, but Sudbury watched in agony as the ball went just wide.
You may also want to watch:
Lowestoft were awarded a penalty stroke after half-time but keeper Mackay made a diving save to deflect the ball round the post off her stick. Questionable decisions from the umpire led to a number of penalty corners being awarded against Sudbury, which were defended well, but eventually Lowestoft struck lucky and slipped the ball in at the post to equalise.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 8 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused