Hockey: Tunbridge W 0, Sudbury Ladies 1
Sudbury Ladies firsts earned a lifeline at Tunbridge Wells, from a game they knew they had to win to stand a chance of staying in the East Premier League.
SUDBURY Ladies firsts earned a lifeline at Tunbridge Wells, from a game they knew they had to win to stand a chance of staying in the East Premier League.
Tunbridge started slightly the livelier but Sudbury responded, and started to play their game, making short passes and keeping possession with some excellent support play from all over the pitch. It was an open first half with both sides conceding penalty corners. Gina Eley hit the post and Ellie Colton fired just wide from the rebound.
Sudbury's strong defence of Tracey Caddock, Katy Clarke, Hayley Spooner, Emma Stephens and keeper Sandra Mackay working hard to keep Tunbridge from scoring.
After a positive talk from captain Ellie Colton Sudbury started the second half a lot brighter, and gained a short corner within the first minute. Another forced short corner minutes later, saw man-of-the-match Hayley Spooner strike the ball and hit the backboard. This upped the tempo of the game massively as Tunbridge worked hard, causing the midfield of Kirsty Sloan, Gemma Jones, Colton and Casey Humphries, to respond. Casey Humphries was unlucky not to increase the visitors' lead when she met a superb cross from Eley, which was kept out by the Tunbridge keeper. Amy Humphries and Jess Shepherdson worked well together to occupy the hosts' defence.
You may also want to watch:
Keeper Sandra Mackay made a great one-on-one save, which Emma Stephens cleared away safely. With the clock ticking down Sudbury found themselves in the attacking 25. Ellie Colton held the ball up for a couple of minutes in the Tunbridge corner, casuing much frustration for the home side. Sudbury were relieved to hear the final whistle and have given themselves another lifeline as they get ready to travel to Holcombe this weekend.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 7 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic