Holders Lowestoft Town coast through in cup
- Credit: Archant
HOLDERS Lowestoft Town moved seamlessly into the John Banks Suffolk Premier Cup semi-finals last night.
The Ryman League Premier Division club defeated hosts Hadleigh United, who play two steps lower in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division, 3-1 at The Millfield.
Danny Cunningham put the visitors ahead from an 11th minute free-kick, and although Lowestoft looked the more likely to score again, Scott Chaplin levelled for Hadleigh two minutes before half-time.
The Trawlerboys took advantage of two bad defensive mistakes inside the space of three early second-half minutes to put the tie effectively beyond Hadleigh.
Chris Henderson, who had replaced the injured Cunningham after only 20 minutes, was left with the simple task of scoring from close range after Ollie Brown miskicked a low cross by Lee Smith, who had blocked Mark Goldfinch’s attempted 50th minute clearance.
You may also want to watch:
Henderson then fastened on to Robert Eagle’s ball down the left flank and beat two Hadleigh defenders too easily before slotting the ball underneath Dan Heath.
Lowestoft join Bury Town, Felixstowe & Walton United and Leiston in the semi-finals.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 6 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
See today’s EADT and Star for a full match report and pictures.