Hundreds of young athletes enjoy Suffolk School Games 2017
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Around 1,200 school pupils took part in the latest instalment of the Suffolk School Games last week.
Held on Tuesday and Friday, children from more than 50 schools participated in a range of sporting events at Westbourne Academy in Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds-based venues Abbeycroft Leisure Centre, Risbygate Sports Club and King Edward VI School.
Ipswich telemark skier Jasmin Taylor, Ipswich karate player Jack Somers and Paralympic swimmer Ryan Crouch, from Manningtree, were guests of honour at the event on Friday and signed autographs for the excited children at Abbeycroft Leisure Centre.
Suffolk Sport development officer, James Payne, said: “It was probably the most successful Suffolk School Games yet and it just gets bigger and better every year.
“The standards the athletes are setting are increasing and we are becoming engaged with more and more schools which is good.”
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role