‘I can’t wait’ - Joe Dunne ahead of big Essex derby
COLCHESTER United boss Joe Dunne is already counting down the hours until this Saturday’s eagerly-awaited FA Cup first round tie, at Essex neighbours Chelmsford City.
Dunne was on the wrong end of some Cup upsets, during his playing days at Colchester, none more so than the defeat to Bedlington Terriers in 1998.
And the Dubliner does not want a repeat this weekend.
“I can’t wait. The club and the team are excited, and we are all looking forward to it,” enthused Dunne, during this morning’s press conference.
“I’ve told the players already how important it is to win this match, but you’ve got to enjoy the whole occasion as well, including the build up.
You may also want to watch:
“To avoid a Cup upset, we simply have to win. If it means winning scrappy, if it means winning playing well, if it means a late goal or a controversial goal, it won’t matter.
“It won’t matter an absolute jot, just as long as we get through to the next round,” added Dunne.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
The U’s boss will have to make at least one change to his side, from last weekend’s 2-2 draw at Shrewsbury Town.
Brian Wilson will serve a one-match suspension, for accruing five bookings, so John White is likely to get the nod at right back.
Skipper Anthony Wordsworth is also set to return to the team after missing the New Meadow clash through suspension.