‘I’m not going to become embroiled in any play-off talk’ – Colchester United manager John McGreal
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, refused to talk about the play-offs despite his side’s third win on the bounce, a 2-1 win at Forest Green Rovers this afternoon.
The U’s are now within four points of the top seven, with just five fixtures remaining.
Drey Wright and Ben Stevenson scored early in each half as the U’s recorded a third win on the bounce, in the Cotswolds.
Following on from their 1-0 away success at Stevenage, and 2-1 home win over Luton on Good Friday, the U’s completed a hat-trick with a deserved victory on their first-ever visit to The New Lawn.
“I’m thoroughly pleased with the effort of the boys,” enthused McGreal.
You may also want to watch:
“They put in a big shift on Friday, on a heavy pitch, against top-of-the-league opposition, and we came here with a couple of bodies down, in Brennan Dickenson (dead leg) and Tom Lapslie (tweaked hamstring).
“But Brandon Comley and Courtney Senior came in and did really well. They put in a big shift, as did the back four.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 7 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 8 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 9 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
“Forest Green needed the win just as much as us, for different reasons, so this was a good all-round away team performance.
“But I’m not going to become embroiled in any talk of the play-offs.
“My players are enjoying playing with freedom, and I want that to continue,” added McGreal.