“I’m so proud” – Colchester United keeper Jamie Jones
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Jamie Jones is buzzing, after his penalty-saving heroics at Sheffield United on Tuesday night.
Colchester United’s new keeper, making only his second appearance for the club, made a match-winning save from Billy Sharp’s 87th minute spot kick to seal a 3-2 win, the U’s first victory of the season in eight league and cup starts.
Jones, who is on a three-month loan from Preston, had also saved an earlier penalty from Sharp, in the 51st minute, only for that spot kick to be re-taken because referee Ricky Wootton ruled that Jones had advanced too far off his line.
Sharp conevrted the re-taken penalty, but it was Jones who had the last laugh.
“I don’t think I have ever had two penalties taken against me in a match, so I’m proud,” enthused Jones.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve saved a few penalties in my career. I have been working with Joe Garner at Preston, he’s taking the pens for them. I’ve brought that into my game.
“And that’s what I am here for. I’ve trained hard at Preston, it might not happen for me there this year, but I played a lot of games in pre-season, so I have come to Colchester in top fitness.”
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 6 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
Jones will make his home debut against league leaders Gillingham on Saturday.