“I thought we fully deserved it” – Colchester United boss John McGreal after the draw at Cambridge
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss John McGreal was delighted with his side’s away point from a 1-1 draw at Cambridge this afternoon.
Sammie Szmodics rescued a point for the U’s with an 84th minute equaliser, just eight minutes after coming on as a substitute for his first appearance of 2017 following along-term ankle injury.
“I thought we fully deserved it, and we were trying to win the game at the end,” enthused McGreal.
“The substitutes came on and made a real difference to affect the game.
“We thought that Macca (Macauley Bonne) had scored (offside goal), and from where we were standing, Macca looked onside. We will have to look at that again on the tape.
You may also want to watch:
“But I’m pleased that we have finally got the goal, and got a deserved point.
“It was a good performance from a very young team, and it was great that Sammie could come on and get us the equaliser,” added McGreal.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
Goalscorer Szmodics said: “The gaffer just told me to go on and run around, which I did, and it was a dream to get the equaliser in front of 1,500 or so of our fans.
“I got to the back post and the ball went in off my head, or rather my face. I didn’t know much about it.”
On Bonne’s earlier ‘goal,’ which was ruled out for offside in the 81st minute, Szmodics revealed: “We’ve seen it again and the linesman actually got it right.
“Macca was just offside when Dicko (Brennan Dickenson) got the ball.”