‘I thought we were magnificent at times’ – Colchester United boss Joe Dunne
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester United boss Joe Dunne saw his team effectively guarantee their League One status for another season, with an impressive 4-1 win over already-promoted Brentford this afternoon.
A brace from Freddie Sears, plus goals for Marcus Bean (against his old club) and Alex Wynter (first professional goal) secured three vital points for Joe Dunne’s men, who are now three points clear of the drop zone with just one game remaining – and with a vastly superior goal difference.
Defeats for Carlisle and Tranmere mean that the U’s can sleep well at night, before their final day trip to Walsall.
Dunne said, after today’s triumph: “We are not mathematically safe, although I know there is a massive goal-swing in our favour.
“I certainly want us to go out and win at Walsall next weekend, because I want us to finish as high as we can.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought we were magnificent at times today.
“I’d just like to see us do this a bit more, because I know what my team is capable of.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 4 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 5 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 6 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 10 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
My players deserve a lot of credit, especially for the way they have defended this season.
“I thought the atmosphere was terrific today, and we usually seem to play well in such fantastic atmospheres.
“Today is a great day for the club, and the fans can celebrate now.
“But I won’t be celebrating myself, because we have only stayed up by the skin of our teeth,” added Dunne.