“I’ve been trying to prove my point” – Colchester United’s four-goal star Macauley Bonne
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Four-goal hero Macauley Bonne hopes that his dynamic performance at Wealdstone will lead to some more first-team starts, in the months ahead.
Man-of-the-match Bonne scored four goals in Colchester United’s 6-2 win at Grosvenor Vale in an FA Cup first round tie.
Saturday’s game was only his 13th senior start, in all competitions, and the 20-year-old has only started nine league games in two years.
Bonne followed up a hat-trick for the U’s in midweek, in an Essex Senior Cup success over AFC Hornchurch, with a much-prized four goals in the FA Cup.
“I’ve been trying to prove my point for the last month, that I should be starting more games, by scoring goals and putting in shifts for the under-21s,” explained Bonne.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s frustrating that I am not playing more, of course it is, but hopefully I’ve shown what I can do, and it’s up to the manager now.
“That’s seven goals in a week for me, what else can I do?
- 1 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 2 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 3 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 4 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 5 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 6 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 7 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 8 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 9 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 10 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
“What had bugged me today was that although I scored the four goals, the one that I really wanted to go in was the shot that hit the post. That would have been a great goal.
“We’ve proved that if we do fall behind, we can always pick ourselves up to go on and win games. We needed this game. It was our chance to go out and score goals.
“Everyone wants a good run in the Cup. We got to the third round last season, and this year I think we have the quality to go further,” added Bonne.