“I’ve not known anything like it” – Colchester United keeper Sam Walker
Sam Walker was in disbelief, when Scunthorpe substitute Hakeeb Adelakun’s specualative cross was deflected over his head and into the net, in the 92nd minute, to deny Colchester United a precious victory on Saturday.
Adelakun’s fortunate equaliser earned Iron a 2-2 draw, leaving the U’s a distant four points adrift of safety, with three games remaining.
“I can’t believe it. I was shaking my head for the best part of an hour, after the final whistle,” confessed U’s keeper Walker.
“I’ve not known anything like it.
“It was certainly one of the luckiest goals I have ever had go past me.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not great defending on our part, but he was never going to beat me from there.
“Instead, it has taken a wicked deflection (off defender Matt Briggs), and it has sailed in.
- 1 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 2 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 3 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 7 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 8 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 9 Donacien's 'feeling the love' after returning from the Ipswich Town shadows
- 10 Mike Bacon: High stake games just as Blues are starting to click
“As I say, I can’t believe it,” added Walker.
The U’s return to action at Fleetwood Town next Saturday, needing a victory to stay in the battle to avoid the drop into League Two.
See today’s ‘East Anglian Daily Times’ newspaper for a full match report, pictures plus more reaction.