Ilford FC 1 Woodbridge Town 0 match report - Woodpeckers knocked out of FA Cup late on
- Credit: Archant
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Ilford FC 1 Woodbridge Town 0 Woodbridge Town exited the FA Cup at the Cricklefield Stadium, the home side scoring the winner in the 88th minute.
Decisions appeared to go against the Woodpeckers with Matt Mackenzie’s strike from distance ruled out for an earlier handball decision eleven minutes from full time.
Mark Ray’s through ball after two minutes found Mackenzie but his shot from an acute angle just missed the target for the away side.
Karolis Atutis’ header was well saved by Alfie Stronge after four minutes, Stronge saving well from the rebound to keep the scoreline blank.
The away side came close to taking the lead after 19 minutes when Kelsey Trotter’s shot was well saved by home keeper Chris Clarke, Trotter’s shot from the rebound was cleared off the line.
You may also want to watch:
Early home tackles on Callum Sinclair, in particular, were left unpunished but after 26 minutes James Peagram’s free kick from 20 yards hit the bar.
Atutis’ shot tested Stronge after 39 minutes and after 42 minutes the dangerous Iuhadean Campbell’s effort was again well saved by Stronge.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 10 'It wasn't good for all our hearts' - Roberts delight after Town comeback win
Campbell’s shot after 46 minutes went inches wide of the target for the home side. Trotter’s effort was cleared for a corner after 50 minutes for the Woodpeckers.
Alex Greggor’s free kick was also well defended after 57 minutes and Baden Holmes’ shot missed the target after 66 minutes. Mackenzie’s shot after 70 minutes came close to opening the scoring and after 79 minutes his superb shot from 20 yards was harshly ruled out for an earlier infringement against Trotter.
The home side made it 1-0 two minutes from time when Atutis headed in from a corner and in the last seconds Paul Cishin received his second yellow card for pushing Marco Makris, but the Woodpeckers couldn’t score an equaliser to force a replay they perhaps deserved against a side from the Essex Senior League.
Teams: Ilford: Clarke, Rackers, Paulilub, Szajewski (Capt), Atutis, McCleary, Cishin, Lockwood, Campbell, Peagram, Rungay, Subs: Hart, Jordan, Perewdes, Anjorin, Jackson, Matthews, Valionis.
Woodbridge: Stronge, Holmes, Makris, Rea (Capt), Green, Churchyard, Mackenzie, Greggor, Ray, Trotter, Sinclair, Subs: Bowman for Holmes 89 Mins, Keeble for Greggor 89 Mins, Unused: Langfield, Southgate, Naylor.