Illness continues to affect Ipswich Town camp as Bersant Celina misses training
Three of Ipswich Town’s summer signings are struggling to be fit for next Saturday’s Championship opener against Birmingham City, at Portman Road.
Midfielders Emyr Huws and Tom Adeyemi have not featured in pre-season due to an Achilles problem and illness respectively, while winger Bersant Celina missed today’s Open Day training session with the bug which has gone around the camp.
“He’s poorly again,” said manager Mick McCarthy. “He was the one who brought it in, he passed it to me, he passed it to Skusey (Cole Skuse), passed it to Tom Adeyemi and now someone has passed it back!
“It’s knocked Tom off his feet, which takes some doing given the size of him. He’ll be fine in a couple of weeks.
“I can’t tell you exactly when Emyr will be ready, but we’re not going to risk him with his Achilles because they grumble on. That will need to be perfect before he plays.”
You may also want to watch:
Teddy Bishop (groin) and Luke Hyam (ankle) are also sidelined, while Andre Dozzell has only just recovered from the hip injury he sustained playing at the European Under-19 Championships with England.
Celina’s absence could open the door for winger Danny Rowe, while teenager Flynn Downes has staked a claim for a central midfield role.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay