Injury-ravaged U’s suffer the Blues against Coventry
Coventry City 2 Colchester United 0
Patched-up Colchester United were soundly beaten by hosts Coventry City, at Northampton’s Sixfields Stadium this afternoon.
A goal in each half from striker Callum Wilson, his seventh and eighth goals of the season, comfortably disposed of Joe Dunne’s injury-plagued side.
The U’s were effectively without half-a-team, due to Magnus Okuonghae’s suspension, and injuries to Freddie Sears, Sanchez Watt, Josh Thompson and Gavin Massey.
They held out until the 38th minute, when a red-hot Callum Wilson reacted first to bury the rebound after keeper Sam Walker could only parry Blair Adams’ low drive.
And Wilson snuffed out any chance of a Colchester comeback by rounding Walker to slot home the second in the 58th minute for a fine solo goal.
Wilson is now League One’s leading scorer, with eight goals netted in the first six games of the season.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 10 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
The U’s were on the back foot for virtually the whole afternoon, although Alex Gilbey did squander a good chance to break the deadlock, just three minutes before Wilson’s first goal. Gilbey lashed over at point blank range.
COVENTRY: Murphy, Christie, Webster, J Clarke, Adams, Fleck, Baker (sub Daniels, 81), Thomas, Moussa (sub Willis 90+1), Wilson (sub Manset, 86), L Clarke. Unused subs: Burge, Barton, Haynes, Lobjoit.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Olufemi, Wilson, Eastman, Dickson (sub Spence, 19), David Wright (sub Morrison, 46), Eastmond, Bean (sub Bond, 61), Gilbey, Drey Wright, Ibehre. Unused subs: Cousins, Sanderson, Hubble, O’Donoghue.
Referee: S Martin (Staffordshire)
Attendance: 1,789 (272 U’s fans)