Inter-firm Cup could make comeback
MOVES are afoot to resurrect the Ipswich Inter-Firm Cup, a competition that used to provide one of the highlights of the local football calendar.And it is Suffolk County Football Association who are behind the move.
MOVES are afoot to resurrect the Ipswich Inter-Firm Cup, a competition that used to provide one of the highlights of the local football calendar.
And it is Suffolk County Football Association who are behind the move.
In its golden days the final used to be played at Portman Road, and for many years it was a well-supported competition that pitted the footballing wits of the biggest companies in the area.
You may also want to watch:
James Payne, football administration manager at Suffolk FA headquarters, said today: “The Ipswich Inter-Firm Cup has been noticeable by its absence from the local footballing calendar.
“A number of one-off matches are still being played between local businesses, and so comes the idea to try to re-establish a competition.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 5 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 6 Go-ahead for 150 new homes in Suffolk village
- 7 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 10 Teenager who was diagnosed with cancer on birthday still chasing dream of becoming chef
“Historically, it was always highly regarded and competed for between some of Ipswich's most recognisable companies.
“Suffolk FA is keen to receive feedback from the footballing public to gauge the level of interest in trying to turn the idea back into reality.
“Potentially we could have the competition running again in the 2008/2009 season.
“At the moment we are trying to ascertain the feasibility of re-establishing the competition, and haven't got as far as looking at who would run it and the format etc.”
If interested in entering a team or finding out more information please contact James Payne on 01449 776310 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org