International call-up for keeper
A SPORTS Academy football player from West Suffolk College has been selected for the English Colleges FA national squad. Nick Pope, from Wicken near Ely, went through two rounds of trials before attending a final trial at Lilleshall where the final selection was made.
A SPORTS Academy football player from West Suffolk College has been selected for the English Colleges FA national squad.
Nick Pope, from Wicken near Ely, went through two rounds of trials before attending a final trial at Lilleshall where the final selection was made.
Sports Academy Manager Neil Reader was delighted to hear the news. He said: “Nick is an outstanding prospect who fully deserves this recognition. He joins an impressive list of former students who have also earned national honours. Everyone at the College is proud of Nick's achievement and we are confident he will do very well.”
Pope was released from Ipswich Town Academy at 16 and joined West Suffolk College soon after. He has established a fine reputation for himself and has been a key figure in Bury Town U18's impressive run in the FA Youth Cup.
You may also want to watch:
He has also become number two gloveman in the Bury Town senior squad behind Marcus Garnham, and the first choice keeper in the Suffolk U18 Squad.
Nick is currently in his second year studying a National Diploma in Business at the College.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
His first match will be on January 11, 2010 against Wales, and will be followed up by a tour to Italy early in the New Year.