Ipswich 1 Sevenoaks 2

Slazenger England League East Conference Ipswich 1 Sevenoaks 2IPSWICH were made to pay for a shocking opening 20 minutes in their first match of the new season.

Slazenger England League

East Conference

Ipswich 1 Sevenoaks 2

IPSWICH were made to pay for a shocking opening 20 minutes in their first match of the new season.

You may also want to watch:

The Suffolk side conceded goals in the fifth and 17th minutes of the game, giving Kent-based side Sevenoaks a lead that proved to be insurmountable, despite the hosts dominating the majority of the second half.

Captain Ivan Smith said: “We started so badly and made mistakes all over the pitch, but we played some great stuff in the second half and were certainly worth a draw.

Most Read

“We had a lot of young guys in there today, four 16-year-olds and a 17-year-old, and all of them have proven that they are more than ready for it.”

The match began slowly, with both teams seemingly determined not to make an early mistake. However, Ipswich did exactly that when a poor pass from right defender Mark Wheelhouse was intercepted at the top of the circle by Pete Turner, who slipped a pass to Suffolk-born Sam Ornbo who scored with ease in front of goal.

The mistake badly affected the confidence of Ipswich and Sevenoaks aimed to take full advantage. The home side were put under relentless pressure by the visiting team, who made the score two nil in the 17th minute when Pete Turner slammed the ball into the net from close range.

Ipswich eventually settled and began to impose themselves on the game with some good attacking moves that led to three penalty corners in quick succession, however, they could not find the decisive touch in front of goal.

After some strong half time words from coach Iain Gall, the home side came out of the blocks the quickest in the second half and won a penalty corner within 60 seconds of the re-start.

Penalty corner expert Kier Dixon - who was not on the field for the first half set piece efforts - had his chance to shine, but sent his low flick just wide of the left post.

Despite this, Ipswich pressed on in search of a goal and eventually got what they were looking for in the 50th minute when Mark Wrinch scored after great work from Richard Rutterford, who was playing his 100th National League match for the club.

Ipswich had 20 minutes to save the match and had a great chance to equalise when 17-year-old Max Underwood found 16-year-old Josh Godfrey in front of goal, but the talented teenager could not find a way past the Sevenoaks goalkeeper.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus