Ipswich 1 Uni of Exeter 2
EHL South Ipswich 1 University of Exeter 2Ipswich were unlucky to start the second half of the outdoor season with defeat against previous league-leaders University of Exeter.
Ipswich 1 University of Exeter 2
Ipswich were unlucky to start the second half of the outdoor season with defeat against previous league-leaders University of Exeter.
In a thrilling game at Tuddenham Road the mid-table hosts gave the Devon side a real scare, but were eventually beaten 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
Saturday's result effectively hinged on a poor seven minute period at the start of the second half in which the students took full advantage.
League top scorer Rufus McNaught-Barrington has been making a big name for himself all season and slammed home a fierce penalty corner in the 39th minute after some terrible Ipswich defending.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 7 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 9 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 10 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
Just a minute later, Ipswich were punished again, with Ed Kelleher having all the time in the world to force the ball over the line after the home side failed to clear the danger.
Ipswich coach Ian Gall was visibly frustrated with his teams' capitulation after what had been a genuinely impressive first half performance in which his side had more than matched the high-flying students.
The display showed composure and maturity and was a million miles away from the performance which saw them crushed 8-2 by the same team back in September.
Despite being 2-0 down, Ipswich worked hard to get back into the game and their efforts were rewarded in the 46th minute.
Ivan Smith beat two men with ease down the right before crossing to the ever-reliable Richard Rutterford who made no mistake form close range.
Ipswich pressed hard in search of an equaliser, but the students were solid in defence and held on for victory.