Ipswich agree fee for Peterborough winger Edwards
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town have been given permission to talk terms with winger Gwion Edwards after agreeing a fee with Peterborough.
The Welshman is entering the final year of his contract at London Road and, having strongly expressed his desire to move to the Championship, Posh have reluctantly allowed him to move on.
A fee has been agreed between the two clubs, with the Blues now set to begin contract talks with the 25-year-old over the weekend.
One of the standout wingers in League One last season, Edwards has scored 16 goals in his two seasons at London Road since joining from Crawley, but has been restricted to just 48 league appearances in that time due to injury.
Edwards, who has also been linked with Championship sides Sheffield United, Bristol City, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn this summer, originally joined Posh for an undisclosed, six-figure, fee from Crawley in 2016. The Red Devils are due a slice of the transfer fee.
You may also want to watch:
He can play on either flank but has been particularly dangerous for Peterborough when playing on the left and cutting in on his favoured right foot.
He played twice against Ipswich manager Paul Hurst’s Shrewsbury last season, scoring in a game in Shropshire which Hurst’s Shrews ultimately won 3-1. He also scored in the same fixture the previous season.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony tweeted: “The disappointing news today is Gwion has asked for a move & didn’t want to come on pre-season tour due to Championship club who want to buy him. A fee has been agreed with them and he has permission to speak to them.
“Myself and manager gutted as we did our best to talk him round, but he is adamant about wanting to leave and play in the Championship as has been obvious for last couple of weeks.
“Gwion is a great lad, but made things clear about this and left me/the club with no choice, but to do best deal we can with 10 months left on his contract. Sorry Posh fans.
“I was happy to let Gwion run his contract down and I offered to hammer out a new deal in Portugal next week, but he was adamant he wanted to leave.”
Ipswich manager Paul Hurst arrived at Portman Road with only Grant Ward and an injured Danny Rowe as his recognised wingers, before admitting in his first press conference that wide areas were a priority in recruitment,
He has already added Jordan Roberts to his squad on a free transfer from Crawley.