Ipswich Basketball Club are licensed to thrill
- Credit: Archant
If you’re a sports fan and you want to be entertained, get yourself to an Ipswich Basketball Club game this season.
That’s the message from trail-blazing coach Nick Drane as he prepares to lead his side on another push for promotion to the top basketball league in the country.
After finishing fifth in Division Two last season, Drane’s squad now boasts a tantalising array of thrilling talent.
High-flyer Luke Mascall-Wright is back from junior college in the States, to join an exciting crop of young players including Caleb Fuller, Joshua Apple and Rory Winter.
Add them to former pros Tom Sadler and Eddie Ferreira, plus 7-foot centre Leigh Greenan, back after surgery, and you’ve got a recipe for thrills aplenty at Copleston.
You may also want to watch:
Drane said: “From a spectator standpoint, even if you’re not a basketball fan, seeing Leigh Greenan is quite a thing – seeing someone that big who moves like he does is not an every day sight!
“You’ve got some freakishly big men who are charging up and down the court, smashing into each other and really battling. “That’s interesting, if you’re a sports fan.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
- 10 Can Ipswich Town ease the pain of a brutal week with an unlikely victory at Charlton?
“Then you talk about the young athletes, they jump so damn high and run so damn fast that it’s frightening. They are truly spectacular athletes.
“Then you talk about some of the best dunkers in the world and I’m serious, Luke and Caleb play above the rim. It’s like watching highlights on TV.
“They’re not the complete players yet, they’re getting there, but if you just want to come and be entertained by raw physical talent then that’s something really quite spectacular.
“And then you’ve got the two pro veterans pulling the strings and running the show.
“If you like sports, you have to appreciate that. I do think we’ll be very entertaining this year.”