Ipswich handed long trip to Exeter in EFL Trophy
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town have been handed a long trip to Exeter City in the last 16 of the EFL Trophy.
After finishing second in their group, Paul Lambert's men won their first knockout match on Wednesday night, winning a penalty shootout at Peterborough United following a 1-1 draw.
The draw for the third round was still regionalised - with teams in the south and north kept apart - but Town still face a 520-mile midweek trip to Devon. The tie is scheduled for the week beginning January 6.
It means Ipswich could face back-to-back long trips to the south west at the start of 2020. If they win their FA Cup replay against Coventry, at Portman Road, next Tuesday then the Blues will face either Plymouth or Bristol Rovers away in the third round on January 4.
With festive games against Gillingham (home, Boxing Day), Lincoln (away, Dec 29) and Wycombe (way, New Year's Day) coming before that, there is the potential for Town to play five games in 13 days at the turn of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Exeter are currently fourth in the League Two table.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 6 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 7 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
Walsall v Portsmouth
Bristol Rovers v Stevenage
Newport County v MK Dons
Exeter v Ipswich Town
Salford v Port Vale
Scunthorpe v Man City U21s
Tranmere v Leicester U21s
Fleetwood v Accrington Stanley or Bolton