Ipswich golfer Jamie Abbott wins place in Portuguese Open on the European Tour
- Credit: Archant
Jamie Abbott of Ipswich has won his place in the European Tour Portuguese Open to be played at Morgado Golf Club near Portimao between May 11 to 14.
Abbott played well enough on the Jamega Tour in Britain last year to win free entry to events in the Jamega-Algarve Tour over the past few months.
He led the Race to the Portugal Open going into the final three qualifying events over the past fortnight.
The job had been completed before he teed off at windy Castro Marim on Sunday.
His only rival for a place at Morgado had been Cormac Sharvin, an Irish Walker Cup player from Ardglass in Ulster. Sharvin beat Paul Dunne one up in the final of the 2013 Irish Closed Amateur Championship at Connemara.
You may also want to watch:
Portuguese professionals on the Algarve-Jamega Tour, like Tiago Cruz and Ricardo Santos, are not involved in the Race to the Portugal Open.
Dale Whitnell of Forrester Park, also a former Walker Cup player, had already fallen out of contention.
- 1 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 4 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 5 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 6 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
- 10 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
Sharvin, already unable to overhaul Abbott, did not take part.
Abbott won at Castro Marim yesterday with a second round of 68 to follow his 73 on Sunday.
In the previous two events Abbott had good finishes in the Quinta de Cima Classic and the Quinta da Ria Classic.
Abbott has entered the Europro Tour qualifier at Stoke by Nayland but it seems more likely that he will concentrate on the Jamega Tour again this summer.
He will be back in Portugal to compete in three events near Lisbon. They are the Bom Successo Golf Resort Classic (April 10 to 11), the Royal Obidos Resort Classic (April 13 to 14) and final the Bom Successo Grand Final (April 17 to 19).
These events are not involved in the Race to Open Portugal.
Sam Forgan of Stowmarket spent the weekend in Egypt playing in the three-round Mediterranean Tour event at Palm Hill near Cairo.