Ipswich Hockey under 12s reach national finals
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Hockey Club under 12 girls represented Suffolk in the East Regional tournament recently, and qualified for the national finals.
The team played five matches in their pool starting with a tough match against Essex champions Blue Hornets which was a tense 0-0 draw.
They then went from strength to strength winning their next four matches, 4-1, 3-0, 1-0 and 3-0 with goals from Francesca Rogers, Ianthe Hill and Issy Wilson among others.
This meant the girls topped their group and played in the semi-final against Cambridge City. This was a hard-fought game with both teams having chances.
However, Ipswich stood firm and grasped a late winner on the back post to seal their qualification into the National Finals.
You may also want to watch:
In the final to determine the East champions, tired legs meant they finished as runners up after a tough game with old rivals Blue Hornets, who also qualified for the finals.
Ipswich will now play in the U12 girls National Finals on the 9th May.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 9 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 10 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
It is a fantastic achievement for the team and club and, with the U10 girls also making it to regional finals, where they finished 5th in their pool, the future at the club looks very bright indeed.