Ipswich hope to cash in
IPSWICH are once again in line for a cash windfall courtesy of their former striker Darren Bent.The club will be at least £200,000 better off if the 22-year-old striker features in either of England's forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers.
By Mel Henderson
IPSWICH are once again in line for a cash windfall courtesy of their former striker Darren Bent.
The club will be at least £200,000 better off if the 22-year-old striker features in either of England's forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers.
The bonus could double if Bent appears at any point in both the games against Macedonia on Saturday, which is being played at Old Trafford, and against Croatia in Zagreb in a week's time.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich and his current club Charlton negotiated the agreement as part of his £2.5 million transfer in June last year, but Town have yet to cash in.
Bent has won two senior caps since his move to The Valley but both came in international friendlies and not, as the additional clause stipulates, in competitive games.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
It looked as if Ipswich would have to wait a while longer when incoming international coach Steve McClaren did not name Bent in his squad for the Euro 2008 double header against Macedonia and Croatia.
But a hamstring injury to Everton striker Andrew Johnson resulted in Bent being promoted from the Under-21 squad to re-ignite hopes of Ipswich receiving the anticipated bonus sooner rather than later.