Ipswich: London Marathon runner raises £3,000 for St Elizabeth’s Hospice as thanks for ‘fantastic care’ offered to dying grandfather
- Credit: Archant
A grateful grandson is fulfilling a vow to do “something special” for the charity that cared for his dying grandfather.
Ipswich resident Dan Humphries will be running the London Marathon on Sunday in aid of St Elizabeth’s Hospice, as a thanks for the “absolutely fantastic care” offered to his grandfather Geoff Warner in his final weeks.
“I think it’s an amazing facility,” he said.
“My mum and nan has such comfortable surroundings to share their final moments with my granddad.
“I vowed to my mum and nan that I would do something special to raise money for the hospice to show our thanks for everything they did to make my granddad’s and my nan’s final time together as good as possible.
“They have personally set up a tribute fund in Geoff’s name and my tribute is to run the London Marathon for home.
Mr Humphries, a company director with the freight forwarding company Coastal Global Logistics Ltd, has already exceeded his £2,000 fundraising target.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
Together with his wife, Caroline, Mr Humphries has “smashed” the target, raising £3,000 with the help of a sponsored Christmas hike, charity quiz raffles and a jewellery auction.
He has been training hard over the last three months, with regular runs and a twice weekly ‘Spartan’ class at the Fitness Unit.
To sponsor Mr Humphries visit www.justgiving.com/dhumphries.