Ipswich: London Marathon runner raises £3,000 for St Elizabeth’s Hospice as thanks for ‘fantastic care’ offered to dying grandfather
- Credit: Archant
A grateful grandson is fulfilling a vow to do “something special” for the charity that cared for his dying grandfather.
Ipswich resident Dan Humphries will be running the London Marathon on Sunday in aid of St Elizabeth’s Hospice, as a thanks for the “absolutely fantastic care” offered to his grandfather Geoff Warner in his final weeks.
“I think it’s an amazing facility,” he said.
“My mum and nan has such comfortable surroundings to share their final moments with my granddad.
“I vowed to my mum and nan that I would do something special to raise money for the hospice to show our thanks for everything they did to make my granddad’s and my nan’s final time together as good as possible.
You may also want to watch:
“They have personally set up a tribute fund in Geoff’s name and my tribute is to run the London Marathon for home.
Mr Humphries, a company director with the freight forwarding company Coastal Global Logistics Ltd, has already exceeded his £2,000 fundraising target.
- 1 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 5 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 6 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 7 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 8 The first five jobs for Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 10 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
Together with his wife, Caroline, Mr Humphries has “smashed” the target, raising £3,000 with the help of a sponsored Christmas hike, charity quiz raffles and a jewellery auction.
He has been training hard over the last three months, with regular runs and a twice weekly ‘Spartan’ class at the Fitness Unit.
To sponsor Mr Humphries visit www.justgiving.com/dhumphries.